Build log: Star 45

Discussion in 'Scale Sailing' started by adriano1499, Mar 9, 2014.

1. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Hello all!
    I am building my first radio controlled sailboat. My choose is STAR 45. Few photos of building the hull:
    IMG018.jpg IMG027.jpg HPIM2840.JPG HPIM2844.JPG HPIM2834.JPG
    Gluing the keel ;) :
    HPIM2858.JPG
    I have just finished the hull :D :
    HPIM2944.JPG
    I wonder what material use to do the hull sheathing. I'm thinking about the birch plywood, but don't know what thickness. Can you advise me?
    I have one more question: Can I use braided fishing line for sail rigging?
    BTW.: I have bought servos: HiTec HS-785HB for sail winch & HiTec HS-765HB for rudder.
    Now I just have to choose RC transmitter & receiver.
    Please, answer ASAP.
    Thank you in advance :D

2. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

looks nice. thats a lot of clothsepins... :)

I would recommend using braiding fishing wire... I use 60lb on all my boats. something like this...
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berk...ault,pd.html?gclid=CLTgh_zbhb0CFaVxOgodMQwAvw

the only down side is that you need to use crimping sleeves. not as easy as a knot, but a lot less stretch and IMO wire is more durable than the string braids. the string is finen for the sheets and such.

I woudl reccomend a ditigal TX. I like the spektrum DX6i, but the new chinese copy orange form hobby king is pretty new and delightfully cheap... I havenot tried it yet but I will likely get one as a backup...

3. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Thank you for quick answer :D
    I know that the Spektrum transmitters are very good for sailing models, but I was wondering about the Graupner MX-10 HOTT 5ch 2,4GHz & GR-12 receiver. What do you think about it?
    ori-radiocommande-graupner-5-voies-mx10-17817.jpg
    gr-12_hott.jpg

#3 adriano1499, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

5. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Thank you ;)
    ... but there is no warranty for Orange transmitter. Spektrum DX6i has got 1 year warranty. BTW. Do you know anything about the range of this transmitter from HobbyKing or original DX6i?

6. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

I've never had any control issues with the dx6i been able to sail as far as I can reliably see the boat and tell whats its doing... 100 yards easy...

mount the RX above the waterline..

for the price of the DX you could buy two oranges.

Electronics warranty have never been anything I generally worry about. but i will say that there are a lot of good comments on spektrum and their warranty service.

7. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

HI Marc, read your post on the orange, was tempted by one myself - how long have you been using them ?

8. RGSAILOR

RGSAILOR Member

I picked up the orange tx this winter. Nice radio easy to set up, great price. Got the RG , Vic ODOM and soling set up. Only sailed the RG so far this year. So far it is a winner for me.
    Craig

9. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

i don't have one yet. currently they are barck ordered in all warehouses. I have been happy with the spektrum. but sicne I sold my EC12 I let the radio go with the boat. so I have no "back up" I have never purchased a new spektrum. always got them used for around 100 bucks.. but the orange looks like a great deal...

10. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Hey!
    I have decided to use birch plywood for a hull sheathing. For bottom planking 0.8mm, for side & deck - 1.5mm. I have bought them already, and they will be deliver tomorrow.
    Finally, the servos were delivered few minutes ago ;D
    HPIM2951.JPG
    Do you know where can I buy pulleys like this IMG_0034.jpg ? Or this pulley 2.jpg ?
    I don't mind if it wil be used or new. Thank you in advance :D

#10 adriano1499, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Thank you very much :D

12. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

Can you explain me step by step how to do the glass layout? What grammage of fiberglass?

13. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

on my IOM I used 3 layers. one of 5-6 ounce, one layer of 1 ounce, and one layer of 1/2 ounce with no gelcoat over a male mold that hasbeen protected by packing tape or some other mold release product.

I would imagine that if you went with a gelcoat layer you could skip the layer of 1/2 ounce...

14. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

I want to cover the hull with fibreglass not make mold. I want to use fiberglass for reinforcement & better waterproof and I want it transparent.
    Something like this:
    glassing.jpg

#15 adriano1499, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

Ah. that probably 1 oz or maybe two layers of 1/2 ounce. 1/2 ounce is very very fine. and will sand out very nice.

I would have opted to do do it in one piece. rather than a piece of glass for each panel. the 1/2 ounce glass is very flexible and very pliable and woudl easily make those hard corners.

16. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

#17 adriano1499, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

I guess you could use any fabric you want...I've only used carbon and fiberglass

I use the west system of epoxies...

18. adriano1499

adriano1499 New Member

I have a problem with buying birch plywood for planking bottom hull (I need the plywood with lengthwise growth rings, but I can only buy with crosswise growth rings) :sad:
    That's why I decided to plank bottom hull with wooden strips (side & deck will be plank with plywood) but I don't know what wood should I use. I want to glass all surfaces after planking. Like this:
    Star+frame+4.JPG
    This bottom hull is planked with spruce and mahogany, but I want to use only one type of wood.
    I heard that wooden strips of spruce, fir & mahogany are very good for planking hull. What do you think? :confused:

19. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

i have never planked a hull... that being said, nice think about planks is that they will bend much easier to deal with compound curves than ply.... I'm still struggling with using my veneer...

plus, planking will look much better... I've always had a thing for wooden albacores...
    http://www.spinnaker.com/~waynec/sailing/albacore1297.html love the diagonal...strips...

#20 marcsmith, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014