Semiscale Footy Catboat

Discussion in 'General Discussion (Footy)' started by Rick Lindsey, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Flavio

Flavio New Member

American Brando

The catboat is now arrived at wooden boat magazine, where has been re-rigged after the atlantic travel.

Ann, Carl and other friends of WB staff are currently investigating about the possibility of a book, a kit box a set of plans of a mix of these options

So far it seems clear that this magazine has been involved in our class activity, and they are looking forward to increase their attention to the matter.

Most probably they like the idea that a wooden footy can be a a competitive racing machine < I am referring to bill hagerup's Cobras and other modern looking balsa footies >

I am currently exchanging e-mails with Frank Thorley ( the human resources manager :) ) and with Bob Fritze in order to organize Brando's entry to mystic regatta on next saturday .

Bob will carry out small repairs, and will make practice with gaff rig during next days.

Bob's wife will be his valuable "shore team"

Weather forecast are promising : sunny sky, light wind

Awaiting for pictures of this woody footy regatta see below three very professional photos courtesy of Wooden Boat magazine

flavio

Attached Files:

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I know its not wooden but it is still a Catboat and Footy scale, but notify@yahoogroups.com on behalf of shay18tons@yahoo.com has just asked me about my "PussyFoot" Cat boatand do I have any plans?

Wilst I have been pleased to provide him with some pictures, does any one know him?

Rgds
    AndyT

3. Flavio

Flavio New Member

Brando & mystic footy race

I have received a pair of e-mail from USA about the mystic event, and I would like to share with you these news ( awaiting a more detailed report from our yankee friends )

Light wind, sunny sky, a lot of people
    The race has been a fun event, with only two races, but a lot of " a lot of good time sailing and conversing with the spectators "

Brando, taking advantage of Bob Fritze steering skills arrived second
    A remarkable performance taking in account that first place was Scott Spacie ( Scott won the the Footy National Championship in Orlando )

Bob, very wisely has been able to squeeze 100% of Brando's potential making small repairs due to shipping, installing a spektrum receiver, and trimming the mainsail for best light weather perfomances ( slack mainsail foot, "baggy" sail )

According Bob, even if Brando was not able to point as high as the winning boat, but " did well downwind "

It is worth to note that the winning boat ( see bob's good wife photos ) seems to be very narrow, and is sporting a very nice paneled sail ( as far as I know, Scott is - also - a very good sailmaker )

Due to light wind condition, Brando has been able to sail using a light keel purposely made for such situations

All considered a nice event, and a very intersting performance test for this catboat
    ... looking forward for more detailed news, and more pictures from Mystic

Flavio

Attached Files:

4. Maine Footy

Maine Footy New Member

Hey Flavio, your boat is very beautiful. This was my Footy's first voyage and the balanced lug rig really needed some fine tuning. It was also my first time sailing an r/c boat. It really was fun - Footys are the best. There were actually three races. Here is one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHqFDEXt1Tg

The way they accelerate in a puff is just awesome.

Steven

5. rod

rod New Member

Do the Footy rules allow a removable and exchangable keel? They say "non-movable" ballast, but is this the same as a "non-exchangable" keel fin and bulb?

6. Angus - DECEASED

Angus - DECEASED New Member

between eents you can make it whistle Yankee Doodle - if tou happen to like Yankee Doodle.

7. rod

rod New Member

But can you have two rigs for light and heavy winds, AND two keels for same?
    I realize you can change between different events, but between races? I don't think the rules even contemplated changing between a series of different weight bulbs, or different fin lengths, or different chords, depending on the wind. What do other racing classes say about A,B, and C, etc. keels?

8. IanHB

IanHB New Member

Once you have selected a keel for a days or a regatta`s sailing you are stuck with it. (unless damaged) :witch:
    I believe some have been known to stand on them purposely, though not in this class.:devil3:
    Rigs (choice of two at the moment) can be changed between heats due to wind strength variations. :graduate:

#88 IanHB, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  9. Rick Lindsey

Rick Lindsey New Member

Hey Flavio, do you know if Wooden Boats has any idea when they might be making the Brando available (in either plans or kit)? I've enjoyed following the development, and she looks top-notch in the pictures from Mystic!

-Rick

10. Flavio

Flavio New Member

COMEBACK

... after a long time far from this forum ( there are other things to do, other footy models.. ) I am happy to give notice that Brando's plans are available ( wooden boat store web site - code #490-008 )
    Plans are made of 12 large size sheets ( 11" x 17" - similar to A3 standard ) and a booklet showing 45 building steps .
    Price is 30$

According Wooden Boat staff, so far , 35 set of plans have been sold.

I am now awaiting the launch of first Brando sistership ... ( and , I hope , the first Brando championship :) )

- Flavio

11. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail New Member

What happened to Presto?
    Did it sail well?
    Did plans result?

12. Flavio

Flavio New Member

Hello...

news and updates about my footies

BRANDO

I am happy to see that this thread has , few days ago, exceeded the 10 000 views ( ! )

Wooden boat magazine , informed me that - so far - about 65 set of plans have been sold.
    Brando model is still on display in their store, and most probably, during next spring will enter other races following the good results of Mystic Event

A kit box will be available soon ( an "all in the box" package, but without precut parts )

I wil give notice about the matter

+++++++

PRESTO

My entry to footy design conytest, as well to Euro GP 2009 has been an interesting experiment, and I will give more details about it in the future.

This model was designed as "a cruising footy" , but launched and sailed as a "turbocharged version"
    In the next future I will re-rig it in accordance to initial plans

Comments-

It is possible to build a strong , heavy, unsinkable footy having good performances

Even if during the contest , displacement was about 700 grams ( heavy batteries, heavy second hand ballast bulb ) Presto has been able to arrive on 8th place ( out of 22 competitors )
    Moreover the model was lunched for the very first time only half hour before the start of races

My good friend Andrew, has build an almost sistership, and we will post pictures of the sailing "scuderia presto" showing both boats ( see also on the web site modelboat mayhem )

Without doubt using ligher batteries, keel and reduced sail area this model will be able to be used as a pleasant "toy"

NEXT MODEL

Wooden boat staff has been very impressed by Brando good sales, and I will start soon to work on the second "semiscale" wooden footy

This time I will take advantage of many lessons learned , and - from the beginning, I will do my best to draw nice plans, and to make a huge number of photos to document all building steps

More in the future ( most probably, I will open a new thread )

Have a fair wind ....

Flavio

PS

I don't like new format of this website

I don't like new version of the forum

I don't like updated version of rc sailing

I don't like how things have been modified, and - in my mind - I feel that I am not alone

13. Andrewh

Andrewh New Member

Flavio,

PS
    I don't like new format of this website
    I don't like new version of the forum
    I don't like updated version of rc sailing
    I don't like how things have been modified, and - in my mind - I feel that I am not alone

I didn't like to say, but I agree with each of these points.
    When you launch the new thread we can add some pics of the Prestos (presti?) meeting at the euro GP last year
    andrew

14. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

Don't forget you "can" change the wqay a thread is displayed. It's at the top of any thread, right under the "Display First Unread".
    Much of the upgrade was done to prevent SPAM bots from signing on which (if my info is correct) wasn't available on previous versions.
    Format isn't extremely different.
    See above for possible reason to move to new version
    Can you be more precise and specific in what you feel has been modified? I am positive Chad, forum owner and administrator would look into those issues or views.

Dick

BTW - Chad is providing this forum on his own - and has invarious formats and versions since back in 1999 or 2000 as I recall.

15. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

For information, if you elect to turn on a threaded version of the forum - it will look like this as the first post of the forum. Personally, I hate threads once the topic has a large number of replies. Others will like it.

Just providing info only, guys

Attached Files:

16. Flavio

Flavio New Member

one year, 12457 views later

Today is a special "anniversary",

365 days ago, I started my contribution to this forum, following rick request of advice, as well fast frank suggestion to express my opinion about the possibility to design and build a "decent sailing" semiscale footy.

This footy, has been designed, launched, tested, put on display during the mystic wooden boat show event, starting from october plans have been sold by wooden boat magazine ( so far about 100 set of drawings have been sold )

A nice story.

I would like to take advantage of this birthday, to express my gratitude to :

Rick ( he started the thread )
    Frank ( he asked me to join the discussion )
    Carl Cramer ( wooden boat magazine editor, decided to have brando as "official wooden footy" of his wonderful journal )
    Ann Neuhauser ( the wonderful girl in charge to manage the wooden boat store )
    Scott Bell ( the guy in charge for WB books, who helped me to improve the quality of Brando's building manual)
    Bob Fritze ( the outstanding skipper who has been able to arrive on second place steering Brando during the mystic footy regatta )

I am looking forward to next wooden footy regata in mystic, to see - I hope - several brando's sistership enter the race

Flavio

17. wrcaughey

wrcaughey New Member

Re: one year, 12457 views later

Flavio, Just a note to say WELL DONE, I am new to footy sailing and have been looking at any number of plans, drawings and kits for a first project but you BRANDO really captured my interest and immagination.
    I guess I have read your thread and studied the pictures and details about 15-20 times and each time I found something new to study. I must say you are a ture craftsman. I only hope my efforts wil do your efforts justice.
    Oh yes my friend I have made my decision... and I just order a set of plans! Just can't wait to get started! Many thanks for a great read and I look forward to many mor project from you drawing board and bench.

W.R. Caughey
    N Huntingdon, Pa.

18. Flavio

Flavio New Member

Dear mr. Caughey,

even if during this winter, I have not been able to add many news about my catboat, the steady growt of number of view on this thread is a pleasant surprise to me

most probably within one month I expect to execeed 15 000 views ( 14127 views today )

your words are a welcomed morale booster useful to push me finalize the work on my next semiscale footy....( a yawl )

It would be nice to have it on display during next wooden boat show ( mystic 24-27 june )

I hope to see soon pictures on your own Brando on this forum

let us know :)

flavio

19. Andrewh

Andrewh New Member

Flavio

Congratulations and thanks to you. Your designs (and the drawings of them) have made us smile, admire and sometimes salivate.

Be careful with a yawl design - there are a lot of folk in the US who talk about them all the time so they must be very familiar with that type of rig. Last time I was in the states I heard "have a nice day; yawl" a lot

I look forward to seeing this design when it is ready
    andrew

20. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

its Ya'll and its only in the southern states....