New Fin/Rudder sets - fit with older hulls

Discussion in 'Seawind COA' started by sw86cs, May 31, 2016.

1. sw86cs

sw86cs Member

There have been many reports that the fit between the keel fin and Readyset hulls has been poor and this has been attributed to excess paint in the hull slot. I was interested to fin out if the fit had been improved with the replacement hull and fin sets sent out under the Readyset warranty program but have had no formal feedback on this.
    Local anecdotal reports from skippers suggested that the fit between the replacement hull and fin is much improved but it was unclear as to whether the fin head had been slimmed or the hull insert slot widened.

I had placed an alert request with Kyosho America for a new keel fin/rudder set when they were next in stock and duly placed an order when I recently was advised they were back in stock. I also ordered a replacement steel bulb as my current one uses the last of the vinyl bulb covers and will likely not be transferable to a new fin.
    I tried the fit in my current kit-built hull and compared it against an old stock replacement fin a friend had given me. the new and old fins fitted my hull slot like a glove! So the new stock fins will fit older kit-built boats very well. I don't have a Readyset hull to try them with but I imagine they will not fit unless the new hulls have a widened slot. Any feedback on this will be welcome! Maybe Kyosho made a special batch of fins to go with the warranty replacement hulls??
    Both keel fins fitted the steel bulb fairly well but a bit if adjustment will be necessary to get a good fit with no rocking. I may make up a new fin/steel bulb combo and try it out on my current Seawind to see if I can detect any performance difference versus my current vinyl covered lead bulb.
    Mike