Hull painting

Discussion in 'Technology Discussions' started by M16, Mar 25, 2014.

1. M16

M16 Member

Hi all, I am looking to invest in a spray system to paint my boats. Just wondering what experience you may
    Have. This will be a garage type atmosphere work cause that is all I Havel to work with.
    Currently I'm looking at an Iwata LPH80 small spray gun that works at 2cfm and a California air tools
    6310 compressor, about 650$ US. Seems like a good kit at the price. However the HVLP systems
    From Fuji (semi-pro, with spray gun) can be had for around 400$ US. I have no experience with
    With anything other than my small air brush setup. (Airstar V909 and Iwata HP- SCR) not enuf to
    cover larger projects like the RG that I would like to clear coat. Well just thought I would ask because
    the experts at some venders can't quite figure out what my needs are.

Kurt

2. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

I have always just used spray cans! I also lightly wet-sand with fine paper, and a top-coat of wax.

3. M16

M16 Member

The last time I used rattle cans I thought I had done a neat job of things. This was in a garage with the floor covered
    with large sheats of cardboard. I was painting with blue Tamia laquer and the hull turned out quite nice.
    However everything in the garage especially plastic things attracted the cloud of spray. Spent more time cleaning up
    after that than setting up to spray. My opinion is now that rattle cans are very good at making paint clouds and not
    so good at getting the paint were you want it. My family asked me why the plastic recycling bin changed color and it
    was on the other side of the garage. I did think it was a nice shade , but still embarrassed.

4. hew565

hew565 New Member

5. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell New Member

Ditto for the Harbor Freight gun.

6. TF

TF Member

If you have issues with a rattle can what do you think is going to happen when you use a spray gun?

7. hew565

hew565 New Member

Overspray will always be present, but a good HVLP spray gun will put more paint on the surface that you want than just fogging the area. I have painted things with a remarkably small amount of paint.