1/28 scale ENTERPRISE 1930

Discussion in 'Scale Sailing' started by claudio, May 5, 2010.

1. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Row,

I have seen that you managed to get the lead ballast. Very good.

In a couple of days I will remove the two halves from the plug for soft sanding the area of the keel before laminating some 80g/m² glass layers in order to strenghten these areas up to the deck line . Similarly at the rudder and bow sides as shown at the picture 100.
    Of course the weight will go up !!
    Cheers
    ClaudioD

Attached Files:

• E100.jpg
      E100.jpg
      File size:
      409.2 KB
      Views:
  2. claudio

claudio Active Member

Also the American Eagle a 12metre of 1964 is cover with packing tape !
    ClaudioD

Attached Files:

• E101.jpg
      E101.jpg
      File size:
      932.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Twister

Twister New Member

Claudio,

Many thanks for sharing the additional reinforcement picture, I was at a bit of a loss as to what was required. Just out of interest, how many layers of the 80gsm glass are you planning on using for each area?

Just going to check a few things, then I'll be back with a re-edit of this post.

Regards,

Row

Also I see from one of your recent posts that you're going for the 'bolt-on' fin & bulb option. I can fully appreciate that this route will give infinitely better sailing abilities compared with the internal only ballast, but I remember when I first discovered your Enterprise thread last October/November time, I'd also done a bit of reading around on the 'Canterbury J Class'. While its LOA is slightly shorter at 48" (1220mm), its draft is identical to Enterprise at 200mm. The only weights and overall displacement figures I've come across relate to a minimum displacement of 14lb 5oz or 6.5 kg. This compares favourably with Enterprise however, if you examine the various build logs on other forum I feel it's safe to assume that the bare hull is almost certainly heavier than mine (its gelcoated and then what appears to be a csm layup) which to me indicates that its ballast is almost certainly less. True, its sail area is considerably less at 900 sq inches (5806 cm2) versus 8130 cm2, meaning that Enterprise could potentially carry 40% more sail area, but, and it's a big but, from the various reports I've read and Youtube videos I've seen, It sails extremely well. If I were qualified to criticise (and I'm not) I would say that it seems to suffer quite a bit in very light winds - see attached youtube film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZJ9PVc4MM&feature=player_embedded.

You may have already seen it, but I'd welcome your thoughts. Thats it for now, Row.

#63 Twister, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. claudio

claudio Active Member

The sail area of the Enterprise is derived by the scale 1/28.
    For the Canterbury I think is derived from the Ranger . I cannot tell more about ! Sorry
    Cheers
    ClaudioD

PS:
    I went checking
    the Enterprise scale parameters for 1/28
    SA 700m² /28² = 8928 cm²
    DSPL 127.6T/28^3 = 5812cm3
    The model I drawn is for a DSPL of 6167g and a ballast at 63% of 3800g
    The mast is 10cm longher at 1660mm

The Canterburry is heavier at 6.4kg, bulb not knone
    Less sail area 5806 cm²
    Mast 1.57mt.

Therefore without the bulb weight is not possible to see if the Sail Area is correlated to that parameter.

My drawing was modified in the draft in order to lower the ballast position.
    Actually I will use a sliding fin/bulb to icrease the lateral stability in spite of the increased wet surface. It is not escluded to integrate le ballast as you are doing.

This do not mean that the integrated ballast is a wrong option, many scaled J-class are made in that way and are sailing very well.

#64 claudio, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. cougar

cougar Super Moderator

anything new on the enterprise lately? just saw a video on the j's on tv.. and man do they look great

6. claudio

claudio Active Member

No News yet, fully busy with the new "onetwotwo" design.
    Cheers
    ClaudioD

7. juansystem05

juansystem05 New Member

Hi claudio

Hope you can continue the work on this boat soon :)