35th America's Cup Gossip

Discussion in 'The Local Pub' started by TomoHawk, Oct 2, 2013.

1. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

sailing is a dangerous sport. heck I dropped my gin and tonic and nearly twisted my ankle at my last regatta..... Oh and this one time I was walking barefoot on the deck and caught the jib car with my pinkie toe. Talk about an owie....

There is a good discussion on Sailing anarchy. about changing form T foils on the rudder to L so the foils stay inboard of the sheer. but thats going to be redesign big $$$

But at 40mph the flat side of a 2x4 will probably take your foot off.

But in all seriousness sailing is a dangerous sport. getting clipped in the head by the boom. falling over board, getting fingers and hand caught up in the winches, blocks, rope burn.

When I sailed dinghies, a couple days after an event I looked like I had been in a fight. bruises, chafeing ,cuts, bumps on the head, of lets not forget chance of hypothermia....Heck, I've proablyhad mild cases of it and kept on sailing. Heck scooting around a laser while on a plane and stuff the bow into a wave and I'd end up with the wind knocked out of me and bruised ribs as I slid into the mast...

Are they gonna put lifelines on the cats? clip the sailors in... Heck they already wear helmets and probably flak jackets. I guess we coudl pad them up like a hockey goalie....

not to sound callous, but Its dangerous... its part of the allure Deal with it.

2. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Marc,
    Every body knows as all others sports requiring movements except sitting in a chair with a beer and watching TV !! heheh!!
    Slipping in a shower basin is also very dangerous, it cost me 10 stitches in the head one month ago, but the surgeon (she) was very beautiful !!!.

3. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

The worse that ever happened in my Force V was the cockpit filling with water when the ball in the auto-bailer fell out.

4. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

All tounge in cheek claudio...

Maybe they'll put lifelines on the cats.

Living is dangerous to your health....:)

5. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

Very Lucky man !!!!

6. claudio

claudio Active Member

really luky since 5cm sideway there was the metal drawer handle of the cabinet.

7. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

Lifelines would be worse than hitting yourself on something- you will end up getting tangled in things and drown, so you are better off being thrown from the boat if it flips. Then the chase boat picks you up straight away.

#107 TomoHawk, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

unless they run over you ..............:rolleyes:

9. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

And it you are a judge/referee, you get speared by a bowsprit of the French boat...

10. Gio

Gio Member

11. cougar

cougar Super Moderator

I stumbles across a you tube video of the entire race 6 and 7... but now cant find it i should have booked marked it.. I do know it was a britsh tv doc. that was doing it.. anybody seen it?