35th America's Cup Gossip

Discussion in 'The Local Pub' started by TomoHawk, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

If you're interested, these are the ACWS events for 2015:

Portsmouth, Great Britain - July 23-26, 2015
    Gothenburg, Sweden - August 27-30, 2015
    Hamilton, Bermuda - October 16-18, 2015

According to the LV website, there may be more added, I was not able to find exact information for dates and start times or TV carriers. Only the Brits will be able to watch it.

#61 TomoHawk, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

America's Cup is DEAD.

There are no applications, and even virtualeye is ignoring it, and focusing on GOLF.

[/B]There is aboput a week to go before the ACWS, (July 25) and you can barely find anything about schedules, TV programs, simulators, etc.

3. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

The Open is pretty big for golf. I love it... and sailing and golf cater to similar people. albeit most sailors generally have a bit more money...

4. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

The America's Cup isn't the current event, but the same simulators and apps were used before, so it's puzzling to see that the stuff has dried up since the last AC race. I sent a query to Jack Griffit(of CupExperience.com) to see if he knows what going on.

NO, the America's Cup isn't dead, but it looks like Google thinks so. If you search for Amer'ca's Cup apps, all you get is football! the World CUP is over...

5. hew565

hew565 New Member

I just got an email from an AC media rep. The only way to watch this weekend's event, if you are in the US, is over the free AC+ app for IOS and Android. However, to get the actual live stream on the app, it looks like you will have to pay them $7.99!

I looked into the live stream over the UK sports channel, BT Sports. Even using a UK proxy, so it looks like I am in the UK, you have to subscribe to the channel via cable or satellite in order to sign in and view any live feed.

They are making it very hard for sailors worldwide to sit down and watch the foilers fly around the course.

Here is the latest media info page: https://www.americascup.com/en/news...enhanced-online-coverage-of-Americas-Cup.html

6. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

That's $7.99 for the current ACWS event. Then you will pay again for the next one too.

I have the Android version, which doesn't work at all yet, but according to the Google Play store, only the extra features, like the live onboard cameras and audio feed will cost you the extra clams. You should still get the same replay with text messages that there were on the old version.

Is there any TV or Youtube coverage planned? I suppose we will find out via americascup.com on race day.

#66 TomoHawk, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  7. hew565

hew565 New Member

Watching the races going on now, using the AC+ app. Cameras on each boat, and a race cam. I guess $8 is reasonable considering I can't be there, and going to a movie is more expensive. We, in the US, are used to the sponsors paying for the free TV coverage!

8. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

I just signed up and paid, but you don't get any live video until the "next event."

Things are still confusing, but I finally got the AC+ Android application to connect and get some content, so right now it looks like the $8 is for the entire event, week, or weekend. Initially, it looked like it was $8 for just one day, as the app says the next "event" was 21h or so away.

IMO, we in the U.S.A. are at least used to the sponsors paying for part of the coverage, and we pay in a small part.

Where is there a PC application?

#68 TomoHawk, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  9. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

Does anyone know what these "Territorial restrictions" are? I have the AC+ application, and I don't see any live videos, replays, or anything but the advertisement videos!

I've contacted the developers, and they seem friendly, but I don't see any racing, live or replay...

So I paid $8 to see racing which isn't available in my area???

10. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Administrator

There's a long thread about this over on the Sailing Anarchy AC forums. Not a pretty sight.

Cheers,

Earl

11. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

There is a little good news.

The Liveline viewer is supposed to be included with the next update. It should've been included in the first version of the application. I urge everyone with the Android app to contact the developer to ask for the Liveline simulator to be available ASAP.

There should also be some basic help or instructions too. The app is too vague in its functions.

12. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

I never got see ANY racing, replays, or any kind of sailing at all.. My $8 was wasted, And they want us to pay $8 again next month?

I requested a refund, and left them my request to FIX THE WEBSITE to begin with

#72 TomoHawk, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  13. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

Is there a rule about having the foil hanging down under the hull, or is there a reason you can't get the foil tucked up into the hull, in some kind of notch? Every time both hulls are down for a jibe, those two foils, just drag in the water and kill the speed.

14. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

I did finally find a web page pertaining to the "restrictions" of which are still not defined, but on that web page, it listed the countries that were to receive full coverage for the AC+ Android/iPhone/PC application.

The entire U.S. is listed for receiving full data broadcast.

Then after trying many of the video feeds, I was able to view the first two races.

15. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

ACWS is on TV, sort of:

Tue 7/28 7:00PM-8:00PM
    NBCSN
    NBCSNHD

Tue 8/4 7:00PM-8:00PM
    NBCSN
    NBCSNHD

16. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

I got a message from the Americascup.com people saying that since the racing was cancelled on Sunday, that I will get a "credit" forte next event so I won't have to pay! I have a paid subscription for the next event already, but it's bot on my AC+ app yet.

Did anyone else?

17. hew565

hew565 New Member

I didn't email any complaints, but was notified that the next event would be streamed at no additional cost. The streaming video was good for me, once I found what button to click to get it. The app is not intuitive.

18. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

No, it's (the Android application) is not intuitive, and I conveyed that in some feedback to the developer. I requested a better menu system, instead of having everything on the main screen, plus a few extra things, like the stream quality (if it's available or busy) and a better way to access the live video and Liveline simulator.

19. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

so to watch you must pay? no free streaming on you tube, even after the fact? that sucks...

The 2 minute highlight reel looks interesting... not sure if its 8 bucks interesting...

20. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

After the last AC, the owners and media people figured out that thy could really clean up, so this time, they are.

They could still make it all work out to their advantage at half the price- probably, and have a LOT more happy customers at that price too.

I suppose the owners get a cut? It would help things from their perspective, but as Marc said, most of us are used to getting most or all of it for free somehow.

They even dropped the live AC village webcam they we enjoyed the last time. It was a real treat watching the boats getting pushed out of the buildings, rigged, launched, and moving about in the AC harbor. I suppose there's some kind of spying going on now, so NOBODY gets to watch things in the harbor now.

The worst part of it all, per se, is that they will be (inflicting this) on AC fans for the next 2 years! :confused: Do you think AC fans will pay out a hundred or more donuts for the ACWS, which was disappointing so far with the bugs and bad weather, and then more for the next America's Cup?? They should announce their intent to continually fleece fans now, or if they will have enough of our money by then.

After all, we are buying their products almost every day...

At the least we get to watch the next event gratis.