Americas cup gossip

Discussion in 'The Local Pub' started by Astute Composites, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Twister

Twister New Member

Utterly phenomenal!!

2. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

PART TWO now out, the locals getting rattled or what ?

3. Astute Composites

Haha!.. That last bit is hilarious.. Maybe the interviewer should have asked JS how much he is payed. Oracle have had an insane amount of cash injected into it.. All their campaigns together must rack up somewhere way over half a billion dollars easy. Rumour has it they spent 300 million dollars on the cup in 2007 alone.

Yes, TNZ have cash... The reality is - You need some serious money to put two of these machines on the water, but to pretend that Oracle are not spending it as fast as it can be printed... That's tosh.

4. Twister

Twister New Member

'......pretend that Oracle aren't spending it as fast as it can be printed..'

Nice quote Jim. You can always smell a rat when someone's banging on about another teams money and yet they make no mention of their own specifics.

Last rumour I came across from someone in the industry was that in the next few years Oracle will have 'sunk' close to a billion dollars. That's a serious amount of cash for what is, in essence, plastic products!! How much do you reckon Jimmy's being paid?

Cheers,

Row.

5. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

Oh Geez - looks like everyone's software "use" costs will be going up to cover the expense. Wonder how much they can write off to advertising expenses. If they can't, every database will probably see an increase in cost.

6. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

I'm guessing from looking at this vid take form SF cam few days ago JS is still really p*ssed that he has to sail this heap of sh*t when he is on the biggest budget team.

Just imagine what BA going to like when he gets this hand-me-down for training against OR boat 2 ...:fire: if it survives of course

[video=youtube;SM92pkmdZ-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SM92pkmdZ-k[/video]

7. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

Past months developments have been rather interresting with OR v1.5 now foiling - well kinda !!! the development of of ETNZ done on their 33 seem to pay out in line with their lower budget and my money is still on them. But Prada is sure coming along too and I would place them ahead of OR v1.5 if they can make the most of their sailing with the kiwis. OR v2 need to be something very special to fill the gap. As of Artemis I think their sailing team is top and equal to ETNZ and even better than Prada but they are sure struggling with their design - a lot of ground to make up but nothing is done yet.

Can't wait to see OR v2 and what can Artemis can pull out of their platform to fill that speed deficiency. Don't think there is plans for an Artemis v2 but never know !!! can't wait :jump2::jump2::jump2:

8. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Oh yes this is, PC interview beginning March:

"Our second boat will now have a fully foiling package. The boat was already designed with greater foiling lift, and was very close to having full foiling ability. We called it skimming, wherein it was expected to lift roughly 80% of the hull's displacement, meaning the hull is barely touching the water. But now that boat will have full foiling ability, though we will retain both full foil and skimming options to test. The changes will slightly delay the boat's schedule, but we still expect to be sailing it by the end of May."

Ready end of May :confused:

A reminder how a team can easily get knocked out, ETNZ suffered minor damage to their W No. 1 yesterday despite looking scary, the team got off lightly; no injuries and just a day or two in repair time. Today was meant to be Wing No. 2′s debut, but accounts say it was wing 1 that got bitten during launch on a very gusty day.

[video]http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10872259[/video]

9. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

10. Twister

Twister New Member

Bow down could be an issue in bigger seas - it's almost as if the rudder foils are generating too much lift or the main one's just aren't far enough forward..... Back to the drawing board? Perhaps a little too late. . .

Agreed the hulls weren't displaying any twist but I think that's probably got more to do with the relatively benign conditions.

Row

11. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

I'd tweak the rudder tabs a bit jut to get the bow up. it just screams... "lets plow into the backside of a wave at 30knts..." moving the boards forward would be a wee bit harder to do....

ACworld series racing in April in Italy.... in three weeks...

LV in July

12. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

that's for sure - everything can still happen, equipment and men are at the limit so an accident can be quickly dramatic but no planned. I think that the ETNZ package of sailing platform and crew is the best out there. As for Artemis they are leaving it to the edge to release their second boat.

OR may be foiling but she looks nose heavy and dangerously on the edge of nose diving again - it wouldn't need much for this to happen. They sure have made progress and we shall see what OR v2 can do. don't think it will be as one sided as the previous AC was.

13. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Artemis is the "Trojan horse" for this AC, albeit boat 1 was complete failure they have some of the best foiling sailors around with Nathan O & Adam May etc. If it is any indication they have managed to get one of their AC 45 foiling in just one month ! http://artemis-racing.americascup.com/news/4345/foiling-ac45

No shortage of motivation there, just hoping their AC 72 boat 2 is just as impressive ! only thing working against them is time :scared:

14. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

Artemis is still working on their first boat by adding aerofoil profile to the back of their beams to reduce drag. it will help but I would be currious as to the real gain by reduced drag vs added weight ? They sure have top sailing team - hope they'll get as good platform to perform against the others

15. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Considering "flying mode" when these things get up to 45 knts (80 kmph +) once the hydrodynamic foils have been been refined the aerodynamics would be the next on the list for development ... used to be being a good sailor meant reading the water for wind shifts etc ... now one needs to be a pilot also :)

16. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

AC Espionage … this stuff fascinates us all and the games that go on to protect team developments.

ETNZ Rod Davies posted some of the games played in his blog here

17. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Prada have packed up and heading to SF where there base will be next door to Artemis ...that will be very interesting !

Team manager Max Sirena has good interview here

[video=youtube;T4t5AXNFi-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T4t5AXNFi-o[/video]

18. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

That's going to be a big deal for Luna Rossa and ETNZ to ship their boat and gears over to SF - let's hope all arrives in one piece - at this stage one doesn't want to face big repairs before they can sail on SF water - the spying is going to intensify from now on !!! gonna get interesting...

19. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

hope they don't use fed ex...

I lost two rg65's and support equipment after the texas blowout.......

20. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

Jaysus, hope you had insurance to recup the value even though it is no conselation it is better than nothing. I'd be seriously pxxxxx off to loose my boat but 2... Can't understand how they can loose parcels when it's all barcoded and scan about a million times through the process... Sorry to hear mate