Americas cup gossip

Discussion in 'The Local Pub' started by Astute Composites, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Astute Composites

@ Alan... 15 years ago we were doing that in Laser Pico's when it blew a Force 8..One of those guys is now sailing for Luna Rossa!....

Apparently... After sailing with Oracle...Artemis has conceded that foils might be necessary now and there is a mad scramble to get boat 2 airborne - too little, too late?
    I cannot understand why it took this long. Juan knows that foils make you fast.. In VO 70's his canard setups, made his designs 'fly' way before the other teams, every evolution involved more and more canard lift as part of the formula for success.
    Lets see if they can pull it it of the bag...

2. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Your a hoon Jim ;) sounds like great fun

From outside looking in I can't figure Artemis, is it a case of just too many rock stars tripping over each others ego's ? They have incredible amount of talent there probably more than any other of the three teams ... looks like they just can't work together as a tight-knit team !?

I sincerely hope boat 2 is upto speed (time is their enemy now) other wise it is going to be a extremely boring LVC waiting for NZL-5 to take out OR 17 in the grand final ;)

3. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Eh "We have a little bit of improving to do" ...understatement of the year so far !!

[video=youtube;fiKvoTwWg04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fiKvoTwWg04[/video]

After mixing it with Artemis, O.R found they could save costs and made modifications for boat 2 that spotted in the islands secretly testing ... Don't think Artemis will have a chance up against this one either ...whatya reckon ? :p

Oracle Boat 2.jpg

4. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Jim, there are pretty hot rumors of more head-hunting at Artemis that are about to take place :rolleyes: anyway ... huge excitement with first practice race between ETNZ & Prada

[video=youtube;OQk6HxLZXqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQk6HxLZXqU&feature=share&list=UUc36Cbub8hJ8wwc8xlPba2w[/video]

5. Astute Composites

The latest from the guys building #2 here in VLC is that they are on shift work 24/7 until the boat is completed. Maybe the team will get it in SF a week or so before the start!

6. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Boat ready one week before the start of LVC !!!! ..... sounds like a plan, NOT .... they're banking on pulling rabbit out of the hat ??

No-one here waving the US flag ? ... OR 17.5 crew looking like they are getting in the groove really nicely, when they get their real boat it's gunna be really interesting !

[video=youtube;L9Ap_-8NZuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L9Ap_-8NZuU[/video]

#446 K1W120, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  7. claudio

claudio Active Member

At 0.53"-0.54" it is visible the tendency to go "nose down" again as before.
    Similarly some seconds after where the hull is still tilted down. The footage is of course cut.
    ClaudioD

8. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

i noticed that as well claudio...

at least they are flying... it means that it won't be blowout...

9. claudio

claudio Active Member

Just for fun I have taken some frames of both boats and scaled as much could be to the same length of 22m.
    From that exercise, it appears that the ETNZ mast is closer to the bow.
    The Main of Oracle 17 is differently shaped and the ETNZ appears to be wider at the bottom and getting narrower at the top.

...........[​IMG]

ClaudioD

10. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

And ETNZ foils are further aft ... wonder if that helps explains why ETNZ is more stable in flight mode ?

11. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

I would think with the foil further forward it would be more less likely to nose dive since the lifting force is further forward. and with the tabs on the rudders creating lift a more stable platform all around... unless your frame has the rigidity of a wet noodle...

12. claudio

claudio Active Member

It may be a simple optical effect, but the Oracle main appear to be somewhat fuller on the second top half .
    If it is true, the CE may be higher.

................[​IMG]

ClaudioD

13. stripedlightning

stripedlightning New Member

Oracle seems to sail much steadier on port hull/foil than starboard. Port curved- starboard straight. Also seem her foils are further forward then NZ. And without that extra stiffness of the "Y" beams her bows still twist down. Hope boat two is noticeably better.

14. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Wet noodle ! ...kinda hits nail on the head, in the re-build of boat 1 they tried to make the noodle a bit stiffer and appears to be little more user friendly, but they still have their butt pucker moments.

Being totally new territory its natural that mistakes would be made in step learning curve everyone is going through.

Appears that Artemis has more mistakes than anyone else so far, I've got my fingers & toes crossed that OR boat 2 will be on the money for close fought AC final as at the moment it looks like LVC could be a walk in the park.

15. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

I understand that rules only allow certain number of foils and the 3 foiling boats all seem to have different starboard/board foils that they are testing and noticeably getting narrower.

The move ETNZ made going into SL 33's as a experience/development platform for their AC 72 development program seems to have paid big dividends and the reason they are where they are today.

I bet lot of people would love to get their hands on one of those 33's ... know I would :)

[video=youtube;IPgoAOx1X40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IPgoAOx1X40#at=47[/video]

16. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Here some great independent footage of LR & ETNZ practising together ... does not appear to be much difference between the two boats in this run.

[video=youtube;teVvCe7pDHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=teVvCe7pDHs[/video]

17. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

No - maybe for a week ----- after that they would be a pain in a$$ as you need a building or container to store wing. Building boat to sail and taking it apart to store/move is NOT fun. I did it with my single handed 18 ft. x 12 ft. softsail cat and the only way to enjoy is once on the water. My son crewed on a 27 ft. cat and had similar issues and they had a crew of four (total) I had also "looked" at a NACRA 36 and that is when reality hit me. To me, it would be like a Lamborgini - fun to drive, and that's it. NO part of cost to maintain. :rolleyes:

18. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Agree 100% ... owning the puppy would be a grand pain, but sailing it would make it all worthwhile don't you think ?

Really interesting interview with O.R wing and foil designer Joseph Ozanne here

His view on Artemis Juan K puts things perspective

19. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Part One of Two part interview with JS here .... sounds like he got out of the wrong side of the bed on this day :eek:uch:

Maybe his frustration comes from:

SW. How many days on the water with this one before you get boat number two?

JS. Not sure. It depends how it goes. We have had hiccups and we have made changes..........It depends on the build program going forward. We are expecting to have quite a bit more sailing in boat one, put it that way.
    :irked:

In Part 2 Jimmy tells more about the two boat program and what he REALLY thinks about the Kiwi's. .. :blkeye:

20. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member