Americas cup gossip

Discussion in 'The Local Pub' started by Astute Composites, Oct 9, 2010.

1. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

If you've got 60 mins here's interview with the red head from Oracle, thanks to SA site http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy/b/338303387

JS has been taking lessons from American politicians e.g talks a lot without saying anything ... but you would expect that from an Aussie wouldn't ya ;)

Watching the body language on tough questions is interesting but most of all, take a look at the photo's on the wall over his right shoulder ....which AC 72 foiler is that Jimmy or is it new colours for OR-2 ?

2. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

lol love your comments re the pics - would OR be worried about ETNZ ???

Haven't seen videos of artemis or Prada yet. It seems that Prada have kept their options open on their foils and they have similar S shape foils as ETNZ and straight ones with a different mini foils at the bottom. Not sure yet about artemis and the story about the suspicious noise ! Pressure is on OR right now as it will make it more difficult for them now. Any infos as to whether they'll just build another wing for the current OR platform if it hasn't got too much damage or will they go straight to OR v2.0 ?

Who else will launch their ac72 ?

G.

3. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Four teams only launching 72's for AC 34 (no others) using three seperate designs so far with OR and ETNZ only two teams saying they will build two AC 72's (naturally OR already committed to boat #2) and Luna Rossa saying they will have only one AC 72 and Artemis is .... BIG ?

Info about OR plans is pretty quite at the moment, not doubt still weighing up options about where to put their resources on either sharing re-built boat #1 and new boat #2 or focus all resources on boat #2, one can only guess the data that gathered from boat #1 still has them ball scratching, but time is becoming a critical.

Hearing lots different opinions on Artemis, some are suggesting it was not orginally designed as a foiler (they followed the orginal rules) and others saying the whole package is biggest failure in AC history from design downwards ... but until they get on the water it is all just arm-chair admirals stirring the pot.

The rules state that each team can have 6 foils, not really clear if that is 6 single foils or 6 pairs ? but Prada have been following ETNZ by only starting out with one single foil to start with and said will be developing their own (as well as sails) seperate from ETNZ, hard to imagine why, but thats what they're saying.

I will put my head on the chopping block saying this, but I will guess that ETNZ will not proceed with boat #2 given the gap they have on OR is sufficient and they will focus all resources on improving what they have on boat #1 by not wasting more money on 72 cats, because if they win, it seems highly unlikely that will be the boat of choice for AC 35 !!!!

Just my 2 cents

4. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

I'd second that view for ETNZ so much so that I think it would be fantastic for everyone involved in the ETNZ team if it's game over for everyone else after the first bare away with their speed so much faster foiling all the way back to the leeward mark which is possible right now. but that would be bad for us the spectators - it would be another AC won in no time at all. the other teams still have some time to catch up but pressure is on. Now ETNZ need to play safe and limit the breakage on their boat or everything could be squared again !!!

no doubt these ac72 are pushing the boundaries of sailing to a new level and they are and will be fantastic to watch but personally I truly enjoy watching the close racing on the one design ac45 with more team from different countries and hope that the AC35 will be on boats accessible to more teams if not AC45 as it is still sailing to the full and what a spectacle for the eye for us bare mortal sailors ;-) just my view !

5. claudio

claudio Active Member

6. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

Oh I know - I've been following the hydroptere project since the late RIP Eric Tabarly was part of it and they broke a lot of barriers with that project. Though I haven't heard yet whether they left SF for their record attempt.

One big difference though the Hydroptere is not designed for racing around the can like the AC72 but more relatively "straight line" and hopefully trans-oceanic which will be breaking new boundaries cos doing watch on a machine that goes that fast and trying to keep it foiling at night in the middle of the ocean !

Lots of respect for that team they sure have come a long way and still have more to go.

everytime I see one of their video it really gives me the wow factor !

Gilbert

7. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

#387 K1W120, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

I guess if you can't sail might as make an azz of yourself. :)

9. Astute Composites

No chance of that flying soon....:rolleyes:

10. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Artemis is different and with a move over the weekend which could be just plain dumb or simply brilliant as they have taken down their Wing after christening the boat and now mount a soft sail mast/rig over the weekend. !!!!

Artemis Mast.JPG

Could look at it a number of ways:

1. Following their wing destruction in on the tri in Valencia, they don’t want to risk another Wing destruction (ala Oracle) and have decided on soft sail option as “training wheels” for testing the new hull. Budget can’t afford another wing.

2. They have a 3 part wing compared to other three AC 72’s that have 2 part wings and they don’t want to play this card too early….suggests they gathered lot of good data on their original wing with 12 days sailing they had in Valencia.? …so stage two is just hull testing go to point 5.

3. They have no confidence with the new hull or wing after failures and they really don't know what they're doing ... team needs new management !

4. Rumors are true that the hull was not designed to foil and rather than embarrass themselves they’ve decided to cloak the issue publicly while looking at hull reconfiguration (redesign) after all no-one is going to expect soft sail rig to foil are they ? ...back to point 3.

5. Stage three of their program is putting wing and hull together after Feb 1st 2013 that is far too late for others to implement Artemis ideas …Protocol sailing limits. 30 sailing days till 31st Jan 2013. 45 sailing days per AC72 between 1st Feb 2013 to 1st May 2013. Unlimited sailing days after that.... point 1 & 2 and if they have good team management that works ...Brilliant !!!!

What do you think ?

#390 K1W120, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  11. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

4. Rumors are true that the hull was not designed to foil and rather than embarrass themselves they’ve decided to cloak the issue publicly while looking at hull reconfiguration (redesign) after all no-one is going to expect soft sail rig to foil are they ? it has been done.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nCd39kmNY&feature=related

I feel Number 1. is the real reason...
    1. Following their wing destruction in on the tri in Valencia, they don’t want to risk another Wing destruction (ala Oracle) and have decided on soft sail option as “training wheels” for testing the new hull. Budget can’t afford another wing.

combine #1 with #4. If they don't have enough budget for another wing. how in the heck are they going to afford a redesigned hull. A fully battened soft main can act alot like a hard sail...

is the platform stiff enough to foil in its current configuration with special dagger boards. Could they not try foiling on both dagger boards and both rudders with the soft sail. as "training wheels and then as then as they gain confidence remove the upwind dagger board and then add the wing in the mix...

this way they could begin to at least start grabbing data to determine what direction they need to head?

12. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Mark, I should have qualified "foiling soft sails" ... I was meaning in AC 72, with huge unknowns and with very little time to experiment....but by all means feasiable

I'm assuming that reconfiguring the existing hulls to foil would be lot less expensive than building entirely new wing.

I certainly hope it is matter of smart development program management rather than just pussy footing around problems.

Grabbing data on the run to determine which direction to go "now" ... is like clutching at straws on the run and they are leaving it a bit late ?

I would really like to see Artemis in the LVC hunt, only having ETNZ and Prada there only makes it more boring than it already is, with only 3 teams and 2 boat designs in LVC.

13. marcsmith

marcsmith New Member

14. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

+ 1000 %

15. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

Maybe they could just split the difference and go to AC60s with a 3Km course.

16. Celtic Spirit

Celtic Spirit New Member

completely my view too as I said before these AC72 are a feast to the eyes but in reality a stop too far and looking at the current ACWC there are interests from a number of teams but in the current economic climate they need to bring it back to reality and make bring more limitation on the budget to have more teams fighting for the cup instead of a battle of wallets or like we had before a battle of solicitors. After all it is a sailing event and should remain one !

17. symont

symont Member

Looks like Artemis is sailing with its wing after all.

This picture, taken two days ago, seems to suggest that the stern part of the wing is not a single piece. It seems to be independently articulated at several height. I don't remember seeing this on the others.

Artemis.jpg

18. TomoHawk

TomoHawk Active Member

#398 TomoHawk, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

#399 K1W120, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  20. hew565

hew565 New Member

I think I read that Artemis is using a three element wing, the only one to do so. Three elements and, it looks like four flaps? It should be less drag for the same lift as the two element wings, if they can figure out the settings and have time to do it in the heat of a race.