Post Your AC boat pictures

Discussion in 'America's Cup Boats' started by K1W120, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Hydroptere

Hydroptere New Member

AC45 training session

A new video of the last training session is available
    Wind ~3 Bft!

[video=youtube;Sz8YraGhtB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sz8YraGhtB8[/video]

2. John Fries

John Fries New Member

2 meter AC One Design trying not to run over a Star class....!

[​IMG]

3. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

NZL-32 Blackmagic IACC 120

Finally got a break in the weather to launch new IACC 120 ...NZL-32 Blackmagic Ver 2.0

This one is a little special:

Complete carbon construction:

LOA 1200 mm
    LWL 1 = 966 mm (light air)
    LWL 2 = 985 mm (med/heavy air)
    Drop keel = 390 to 420 mm

Made this keel fin hollow and shaved 150 grams off the bulb and put it inside at the bottom of the keel.

Not 100% happy with the current 78 dm2 sail plan at this stage, think it needs to be max'ed out to 80 dm2

I would like to thank ClaudioD for his patience & valuable time in going through seven revisions before we got to this final design .... and from what I can gauge she is a screamer !!!

NZL-32 BM C.JPG

You can see further photo's in my album here

Cheers Alan

4. claudio

claudio Active Member

Re: NZL-32 Blackmagic IACC 120

Hi Alan,
    is my great pleasure to see the BlackMagic in the water.
    I do hope that it is not only a beauty, but also a winner !!
    Cheers
    ClaudioD

5. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Jaguar - GBR 75

After trading my desk job for a remote control, I'm now sailing 5 days a week ...what a difference when you can do something you really enjoy ;)

DSCF5502.JPG

6. RenatoC

RenatoC New Member

I simply LOVE this picture :)

Azzurra-Tramonto.jpg

7. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Absolutely beautiful Renato :cool:

8. giligan

giligan Member

hi Allan,it's incredible to see your building progress since your beginning,now i can tell that you are a pro.Go on with your excellent work.

9. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Gilligan, thanks for compliment :) as they say practice makes perfect and since starting scratch building only few years ago I feel I've finally got the hang of it now, only need to learn to sail the bloody things as well as I can build'em ...:smile_lol

10. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Testing new sails (80 dm2) with new light weight Square head Rig (283 gm) :)

Mast = 12 mm HM round carbon tube
    Main = 1630 mm luff @ 5156 cm2 sail area
    Jib = 1300 mm luff (80% of Main) @ 2823 cm2 sail area (54% of main)

Surprisingly CE is 34 mm in front of LE of fin and boat nicely balanced :rolleyes: with slight weather helm in 5 knots, will be now try creeping fin forward to see if improves performance.

Cheers Alan

DSC_1701.JPG DSC_1728.JPG DSC_1840.jpg DSC_1836.JPG DSC_1824.JPG DSC_1802.JPG DSC_1788.JPG DSC_1768.JPG DSC_1750.JPG DSC_1747.JPG DSC_1841.JPG DSC_1867.JPG DSC_1871.JPG

#90 K1W120, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  11. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Alan,

indeed is a surprise and I have no answer to that !

What is the distance from the CE to the back face of the Mast %
    What is the mast back face distance from transom ?

According to my records and for Sail & Fin configuration generally employed :

Lead % from CLR-CE = 8% average +/-2% (from various books)
    Lead CE from Fin Chord = -1/4 to 0.0 of Fin Chord (from Eric)
    Lead from Fin CD = 4.0% average +/- 0.5% (from various reading)

If all above criteria are mixed up, you will find very close result within 1% - Tuning being the last sentence !!

All is dependant from the Sail Plan configuration, Main/Jib Surface Ratio and the aspect ratios.

The Fin position play also a big role on the longitudinal equilibrium. Generally, on my models, the Fin CD is positioned at 30-35% of the Fin Chord

Off course, if at the end, you are satisfied with the actual boat behaviour for all sailing conditions, there is no need to change !

Cheers
    Claudio

#91 claudio, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  12. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Claudio,

Yes, I can't seem to find a theory which is consistent with reality .... feel like I'm missing something, somewhere :rolleyes:

Having applied "the theories" on previous 5-6 builds, found that I'm always have to move the sail plan forward at least 10-15 mm hence on this build decided to compensate in the construction and move mast box forward & it was pretty dam close this time first time on the water.

Here is the sail plan used, max Sail & Jib area.

80-1630 Red Bull.jpg

Note: Vertical mast the C.E was calculated on sail plan @ 42 mm from luff edge. Sailing in 5 knots had mast tilted aft little less than 1 degree which increasing vertical C.E from 42 mm to 47 mm at the deck. As wind speed increases up to 10 knots I'm anticipating need to tilt mast forward to vertical position again.

Here are the dimensions you asked from sailing in max 5 knot winds (well balanced) unfortunately I have not located the actual CLR (unknown) with the boat in the water, I will do this next time on at the lake.

RB3.jpg

Interested in any comments !?

Cheers Alan

#92 K1W120, Jun 7, 2014
  13. tuppesw

tuppesw New Member

Heeling angle?

Hi Alan,

not knowing about the usual ACC120 heeling angle, here my theory:

* up to max 5 knots there was not enough heeling, so you compensated it with the 1 degree mast rake to achieve light weather helm
    * up to 10 knots you have now enough heeling for the vertical mast position

isn't the lead depending on the boats usual heeling angle?

Cheers
    Wolfgang

BTW:
    your sails look like mounted over a male plug! :cool:

#93 tuppesw, Jun 7, 2014
  14. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Wolfgang,

Claudio's AC120 boat designs generally allow up to 30 degrees heeling angle for maximum hull efficeincy, when exceeded is indicator to canvass down to B or C sail areas.

Agree raking aft in light wind and then decreasing rake to move CE forward as wind speed increases to maintain slight weather helm is the norm, .....often thought aft rake angle in light air that has main leech move vertical to water is more efficient for less aero drag than forward angled leech, no idea if it is right or not, just something that has always been stuck in my peanut.

The lead is something again that has lot of influences such hull shape & positioning of LCB, CLR, LCF, Sail Plan CE & drift that ideally should be identified at maximum sailing heeling angle.....which is something l have not been able to work out how to with finished boat, calculating on paper using the theories around have not been acurate for myself on RC models, so far.

Cheers Alan

#94 K1W120, Jun 7, 2014
  15. claudio

claudio Active Member

16. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Interesting opinions, this one summed up my feelings:

"design is the brief interval between figuring out what went wrong on the last one and the joyous anticipation of the next and perfect boat "

Tending toward the thinking the sail plan aspect ratio plays big role in the senstivity of helm balance e.g high aspect sail plans have less lead (sensitive) apposed to lower aspect sail plan has more lead (less sensitve) helm.

17. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Alan,

more or less is something like that ...

Nevertheless I'm not so pessimistic with my settings .

Very often I let the boat leaving from shoreline in a close hauled course.

Interesting fact is that the transmitter is also very often left on ground for a while without any touch to the rudder joystick while the boat is sailing straight away for 50m, 80mt or more...

You have seen this happen at the time of launch of 123 Esterel testing, also with the antenna still collapsed...

Probably all that is suggesting something and I suppose that I'm not far from the correct melting ... between CLR, CE, Cd, LCB, CLF, CG , etc. !!

Cheers
    Claudio

18. Twister

Twister New Member

Hi Alan,

Good to see you're still plugging away at it, retirement obviously suits!

In terms of the relationships between CLR, CE, LCB, etc,etc ..., I believe most of what we know is from anecdotal evidence, the rest, well, I think Donald Rumsfeld summed it up best (although I don't think he was talking of yacht design in particular) by saying:

'...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know...'

Yeah, I know, that's really helpful, but it's 7.30pm here and I've been up since 4.30am so that's the best I can offer at the moment!!

Whatever else, keep enjoying the stick time,

Regards,

Row

#98 Twister, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  19. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Don't get me wrong Claudio, l'm very happy with how this boat handles, it is really a grand pleasure to sail :D the hull and rig is perfect ! l just fail to understand why the design CLP to CE coupling numbers don't always match on water ...always thinking l have done something wrong.... now coming to accept what Row says in "not knowing what l don't know" which is frustrating for me.

Btw: Your 123 Esterel remains the best RC boats l have ever witnessed :) that hull form is just magic to watch slide through the water the way it does.

Row, life has been not so easy adjusting going from daily 100 kmh career down to 30 retirement life speed but slowly getting a handle on it ....only thing really missing is finding people with same hobby interest locally .... its lonely sailing solo.

Cheers Alan

20. RGB

RGB New Member

Hi, My Alinghi SUI100 from Poland. IACC120 from plans of Claudio Diolaiti (thanks!). Shorter fin (150% original) because of the racing rules NAVIGA. Fastest sailing yacht on regattas :)

Grzegorz

IMG_1670.jpg IMG_2802a.jpg SUI100 taklowanie.jpg AlinghiSUI100.jpg IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1472.jpg First lap.jpg

#100 RGB, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014