ETNZ IACC120 Dual build thread

Discussion in 'America's Cup Boats' started by V8Goose, Jul 9, 2009.

1. claudio

claudio Active Member

No limits to Beam, but the boat shall be similar to the real one as written at the begin of the Rules.
    Cheers
    Claudio

2. Zaphod

Zaphod New Member

Tnx, Claudio.

I'll have to finnish my previous build (Luna Rossa) before I can start the new one, but I have decided that the old one will be a stationary displaymodel. No need to trash hours of work ;)

//
    Z

3. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Zapold & welcome to the IACC 120 club ... really looking forward to seeing your progress :) and Roman the 2.4 metre ACC idea is very interesting, really like to see the birth of your project too :zbeer:

4. Zaphod

Zaphod New Member

Tnx, there will be pictures of my constructions, both the old and new one.

//
    Z

5. Roman

Roman New Member

Alinghi SUI-100

Claudio

I decided to go for it and build IACC120 Alinghi SUI-100. For my first build it seems a wise idea not to develop my own plans for it and stick to yours!

I sent you a private message asking for some stuff :p

Cant wait to start on this project, so off to the shops to buy a few things...

Roman

6. claudio

claudio Active Member

Re: Alinghi SUI-100

Hi Roman,
    I understand

Here they are Alinghi frames format PDF

File annex zip

Cheers
    Claudio

Attached Files:

#426 claudio, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  7. Roman

Roman New Member

Hello Claudio

Thank you so much for the files. you are a star.

I will start cutting them soon I think :)

Roman

8. Zaphod

Zaphod New Member

This is my original project, but it will never sail. Might be nice to look at with the right colours (Luna Rossa).

Will update with the new build as it developes;)

//
    Z

Attached Files:

9. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

I rather like the color yellow.

Add a black deck and black sails and minimal advertising logos and it would be a stunning on-water boat.

Just my personal reaction. Besides, aren't you a Maarstrom supporter - since he seems to love yellow boats too? ;)

10. Zaphod

Zaphod New Member

Dick, thanks for your kind words but it is too heavy, it will most likely sail like a barge.
    Regarding the colours I don't have the final say on that topic, since it is going to be on display in our home (must obey the One) ;)

//
    Z

11. Dick Lemke

Dick Lemke Administrator

:D:D:D Must be a worldwide issue. Happens a lot here too ! ;)

12. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Slow progresss with hull fit-out with fiddly bits & pieces. Weather is turned cold and notice expoxy curing slows down dramatically with cooler temperatures.

Yesterday, smeltered a keel bulb using mould/sand method, really pleased with the result, I just had to make at least one lead bulb myself :p unfortuntely no camera available (on a school trip)

For AC lovers, this is a sad story http://www.molnar-marine.com/us49-demo.html

Cheers Alan

13. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Started hull fit-out with making home made Fairlead (Claudio design :)) using 6 mm CF tube and 4 mm brass tube insert with 90 degree bend, then installed it into hull with two support beams made of 2mm blasa sandwiched with 200 gsm CF.

Then installed beam for the rudder post and do final Fin alignment while epoxy was curing and also installed mounting rudder servo support.

Only thing left to do is work out how to secure the backstay chain plates, also re-thinking the front stay mounting, not happy with the idea of a slider and will go with putting few loops in the deck making it less complicated and lighter, also need to work out how to support the jib loops (feeding the boom) onto the foredeck.

Hopefully next weekend will be able to close the hull and start the rigging.

Cheers Alan

Attached Files:

14. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Alan,
    some workmanship are better than mine. I like your the idea to fix the fairlead instead of using a local bonding to the hull with µballons and resin.
    From attached pics I got the impression that the fin blade is somewhat tilted backward unless is an optical effect.
    I send back the picture with data as well the plan. It is important to ensure the same position as in the plan otherwise the CLR position may shift as well and influencing the Tuning.
    Probably I miss to mark 90° onthe plan, therefore is marked now !
    I know that is not easy to check. First the LWL shal be keep flat and then use a 90° cut carton or a tool.

Cheers
    Claudio

Here the pictures

Attached Files:

15. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Claudio, you joke with me :) I wish I had your workmanship. The picture regarding the Fin is optical mistake, I had dropped a bob-line down the rear edge of the keel fin, may not have been able to see it in orginal photo as it is yellow line, attached pic you can see it more clearly hopefully.

I have made the LWL the central reference for everthing that I have leveled so far.

Cheers Alan

Attached Files:

16. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Alan,
    here below is the whay I use to search the LWL limits.
    The starting point is the rudder side while the bow side is found by marking on a paper scotch a dot mark at the distance of 59mm (non bumper) along the edge.
    Further I adjust the height until A & B are the same.
    See below
    Cheers
    Claudio

Attached Files:

#436 claudio, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  17. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi everybody,

This year the Final Race for the IACC CUP will be held the October 3 & 4 2009 at Mirabilandia Lake close to the city of Ravenna in the North East, near Venice for those not familiar with Italian geography. see pics

15 contenders enrolled.

This is the Announcement :

...................[​IMG]

better definition in PDF here under

Claudio

Attached Files:

#437 claudio, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  18. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Claudio,

I see on the IACC 120 announcement that there is entrant called "Fly Emirates New Zealand Germany" ? is that supposed to me ?

Only ask because I have not registered and hope that I have not given any one the impression that I will have my boat ready before then.

I am trying but looks unlikely and will have not have any time to test sail before the event, that is why but made no commitments with a official registeration for this event.

However, I will be at the event to meet everyone and learn more about designs and fine tuning aspects of IACC racing.

My plans have been to be 100% prepared for the start of next season regattas in Italy and France .... with some home testing & experience before racing the "gladiators of IACC 120" :zbeer:

19. claudio

claudio Active Member

Hi Alan,
    I noticed me to, but I don't knows anything about.
    You should ask Matthias.
    How is proceeding the work ?
    Goose is absent since long, any news ?
    Cheers
    Claudio

20. K1W120

K1W120 Moderator

Hi Claudio, I will PM Matthias.

Only thing left to do with the hull fit-out is install backstay support beam, will be done this weekend, finding epoxy is taking up to 48 hrs to cure, does hardener/binder have a shelve life ? noticing strong armonie smell and wonder if means it is going bad, low temp around 15 degree's not helping either.

This weekend start making the rigging including making main boom and fixing vang goose neck to the mast, small screws in tight places type execise :)

Need to also do final deck sanding & prep before gluing it to the hull and then glue bulb to keel fin and then thats it !

Attached is my weight budget update & still under target minimum weight by 73 grams. Scrapping some heavy fiitings and using CF where possible has helped a lot. :)

I will drop Goose an e-mail and see what he is up to, understood he was had heavy work load a while ago.

Cheers Alan

Attached Files: